Saturday, July 13, 2013

Music Library: My Bloody Valentine, My Dad Is Dead, My Education, Nadaband, No Parents

My Dad Is Dead


Last catch-up post for now! I'm moving into the Rs next.

My Bloody Valentine - m b v (2013). Another album that is much, much better than it has any right to be, m b v has a coherence that belies its Chinese Democracy-length recording period.



My Dad Is Dead - ...And He's Not Going To Take It Anymore (1986), Peace, Love, and Murder (1987), The Best Defense (1988), Let's Skip The Details (1988), The Taller You Are, The Shorter You Get (1989), Chopping Down The Family Tree (1991), Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (1993), For Richer, For Poorer (1995), Shine(r) (1996), Everyone Wants The Honey But Not The Sting (1997), The Engine of Commerce (2002), A Divided House (2005), and A New Clear Route (2009). This is most of the discography of MDID, the band whose only consistent member was my friend and erstwhile bandmate Mark Edwards. Mark is a hell of a great songwriter and these are all good-to-great albums. Top pick is Shine(r), followed closely by For Richer, Everyone Wants The Honey, and A New Clear Route.



My Education and Theta Naught - Sound Mass (2011). First-rate post-rock from Austin. The fact that my pal Sarah Norris contributed only augments how awesome this album is.



Nadaband - Nadaband EP (2012). This is another friend's band, a blues-rock trio from Huntsville, AL that plays on cigar box guitars.



No Parents - Age of Distraction (2009). And yet another band with a friend in it! This is some excellent fuzz-guitar-pop from Tuscaloosa, AL. Wish I had a clip to embed.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP