Monday, June 01, 2009

Music Library: Cuong Vu, Cure, Curtis Mayfield, Cut Copy, Cypress Hill

Cuong Vu - Pure. Free jazz by Vietnamese-born trumpeter with a feel that's at least half based on film noir soundtracks. Several tracks sound like the entire instrumentation is trumpet, distorted guitar (which may also be distorted bass), and drums.

The Cure - Staring At The Sea: The Singles, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, and Disintegration. I was not much of a Cure fan when I was a teenager, and I feel a little old for them now. I mean, they're alright. If I'd listened to them more when I was 16 or 17, I think I would still feel nostalgic for them, but I didn't and I don't.

Curtis Mayfield - People Get Ready: The Curtis Mayfield Story. Three discs spanning Curtis Mayfield's career from Civil Rights-inspired soul singer to street-conscious funkmeister to the dance-oriented music of his later period. The guy was a national treasure, and it's a shame that he experienced so much tragedy in his life and that his life was cut short.

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours. Is it just me or are these guys a hybrid of OMD and ELO? I don't understand the love that's directed their way. It's not terrible music by any means, but it's not that interesting, either. Especially when you consider that Daft Punk is coming up in my playlist in the very near future.

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday. It is only through considerable research that I have uncovered the shocking truth about Cypress Hill: they like weed.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP