Friday, August 05, 2011

Music Library: Nas, Nat King Cole, National, National Lampoon, Ned Miller, Neal Merryweather



Nas - Illmatic (1994) and Al-matic (Nas/Al Green mashup, 2008).  Hey, this Illmatic album is pretty good! I wonder if anyone else noticed it.  The mashup is good clean fun, too.

Nat King Cole - "Nature Boy."  A favorite song around my house.  I thought I had a whole album of NKC tracks, but apparently, nope.  Just this one.

The National - Alligator (2005), Boxer (2007), The Virginia EP (2008), and High Violet (2010). So here's the thing I figured out while listening to these albums.  I really like "Fake Empire" off of Boxer.  Everything else is only ok.  It seems sort of excessive that I have three albums and an EP by a band with only one song that I really like, doesn't it?

National Lampoon - National Lampoon's Radio Dinner (1972). This albums sounds like the 1960s killing itself.  It is satirizing the excesses of late 60s/early 70s pop culture, but I have to admit that a lot of the jokes bounced off me.  Not being a boomer, I'm a little bulletproof to this.

Ned Miller - From A Jack To A King (1957). Right on the edge of country and rockabilly, Ned Miller's album is straight-up fun.

Neal Merryweather - "Escape."  Rockin' glam-rock tune from the heart of the Canadian 1970s.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP