Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Hell, I forgot to mention the only major outing Mrs. Obscurity and I have undertaken in the last few weeks: Andy Goldsworthy's exhibit at the Austin Museum of Art on Sunday.

We pushed Rivers and Tides up on our Netflix queue and saw it on Friday. One of my friends has been gushing about how incredible this guy's work is for well over a year, and I'm happy to say that he's absolutely correct. I love this. Goldsworthy works with found natural materials to create artwork that is ephemeral by design. One of my favorite things about the movie is the tendency to focus on Goldsworthy's hands, which are absolutely trashed by his work. My least favorite thing is the repeated interviews in which Goldsworthy tries to explain his art by saying, "It's my way of understanding X." Blah, art-talk bullshit. His wife quietly deflates him in a nice scene, and he completely lets loose with his real personality, which is nice.

Anyway, here's some Goldsworthy pictures. This is a whirlpool made of driftwood that's about to be carried off by the tide:

Images from RIVERS AND TIDES: ANDY GOLDSWORTHY WORKING WITH TIME

This is a piece made of straw and thorns that falls apart during filming:

Images from RIVERS AND TIDES: ANDY GOLDSWORTHY WORKING WITH TIME

One of his eggs, this one of ice. Amazing:

Images from RIVERS AND TIDES: ANDY GOLDSWORTHY WORKING WITH TIME

He photographs his sculptures and gives the photos long, Zen-like poetry names. I kept expecting one to be called:

crushed foot under heavy stone
fucking thing fell apart fifteen times
goddamn shit

'cause profanity is funny.

4 comments:

Austin 1:35 AM, January 28, 2005  

What did you think of the big rectangle of sticks with the circle of darker sticks that was reproduced in the back room? (This is a leading question - I think it's a joke, but no-one else I've spoken to has gotten it, so I may be reading more into it than is there.)

Hayden Childs 9:16 AM, January 28, 2005  

If it's a joke, I don't get it. I was surprised that he'd burnt the darker parts after all that talk in the movie about using the hay roots and the fire from the earth and all that jazz for that dark circle.

Austin 10:55 AM, January 28, 2005  

Well, most of the photos were of works he'd made in Japan. And the sticks were arranged into a rectangle of light material with a circle of darker material at the center...

Hayden Childs 11:46 AM, January 28, 2005  

You're completely right! I didn't catch that at all, but it was definitely the shape of a Japanese flag.

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP