Thursday, July 02, 2009

Music Library: Dirtbombs, Dirty Three, Distant Seconds, Dixie Chicks, Dizzee Rascal, Dizzy Gillespie, DJ Shadow, DJ Shortkut



The Dirtbombs - We Have You Surrounded (2008). The first album I've heard by this band, which has apparently been around for a while. And I like it more than I thought I would at first, although it's definitely a spotty album. It's garage-y, but it has some depth that's not immediately apparent.

Dirty Three - Dirty Three (1995), Horse Stories (1996), Ocean Songs (1998), Whatever You Love, You Are (2000), She Has No Strings Apollo (2003), and Cinder (2005). Calm on the surface, raging seas beneath. My favorites are Horse Stories and Ocean Songs, but they're all lovely in their own way. Or maybe in the same way. There's a definite progression in the albums, but the changes are minimal, and I've only noticed them when listening to the albums end-to-end like this. Cinder, with the focus on short songs and the guest vocalists Cat Power and Sally Timms, is the most radical departure, and it's my least favorite, too.

The Distant Seconds - We're Holding Out For Less (2007) and Spectral Evidence (2008). One of the best Austin bands going right now, the Distant Seconds favor lean, rhythmic songs with slippery basslines and skronky keyboards over minimalist guitar and solid, tricky drumming. There's a certain Spoon-ness at play, but the Distant Seconds have their own identity and sound. Great, great stuff.

Dixie Chicks - "Bring It On Home To Me." A Dale Evans cover, I think?

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner (2003). I like Spank Rock's glitchy beats and weird flow, but didn't realize that they were invented by Dizzee Rascal, since I'm the last person on earth to hear this album. My friend Gary gave me a copy back in the fall. I listened to it a couple of times then, and not again until yesterday, but it's utterly amazing, and that's all I have to say on it.

Dizzy Gillespie - "Ool-Ka-Yu," Body & Soul (with Sarah Vaughan, 1949), and Duets (with Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt, 1957). I met Gillespie one time, towards the end of his life. It was early in the morning and he didn't have much to say, but I'm proud that I got to shake his hand. Prouder than this meager selection would indicate. Body & Soul barely has Sarah Vaughan on it, but it does have a few live tracks with some surprising scat singing. Duets is from the same recording session as the excellent Sonny Side Up album, and features Dizzy jamming with each of the two sax giants.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (1996). An album composed entirely of samples, Endtroducing was an incredible undertaking that still retains its power to astonish.

DJ Shortkut + Roy C Hammond - "Impeach The President." Takes you right back to 2005!

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP