Monday, June 22, 2009

Music Library: Dead Boys, Dead Kennedys, Dead Meadow, The Dead Milkmen, Dead Prez, Dean Martin, Dears, Death Cab For Cutie

The Dead Boys - Young, Loud & Snotty. Aptly named punk album anchored by the excellent tracks "Sonic Reducer" and "What Love Is." The Dead Boys were built on the punkier half of the amazing mid-70s Cleveland band Rocket From The Tombs. The other half went on to become Pere Ubu.

The Dead Kennedys - "California Uber Alles." All the DKs I need.

Dead Meadow - Feathers. Psych-rock band from Baltimore fronted by David Simon's nephew. I don't much care for them, unfortunately. I mean, they're okay, but noticeably short on memorable riffage.

The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard In My Backyard. Awesome fun album that I loved like crazy when I was 16. Listening to it was a blast.

Dead Prez - Let's Get Free and "Hell Ya (Pistol Pete Remix)." I like my hip-hop to be a head trip.

Dean Martin - Greatest Hits. Dead Prez is going to hate this, but Deano completely upstaged them.

The Dears - Gang of Losers. These guys had quite a bit of hype a few years back with this album. I really don't understand why. It sounds like near-generic sub-Smiths indie rock. I mean, I don't hate anything on this album, but I don't like any of it, either. When a song ends, I remember nothing about it. I can't even decide if I should delete it. It doesn't move me now, and I don't know if it will ever move me. I'd be surprised, but sometimes you have to leave room for surprise. I'm left with a Big Hmm.

Death Cab For Cutie - "405," Transatlanticism, and Plans. As with The Dears, I have no idea why these guys are such a big deal for certain music fans. The music doesn't annoy or offend me, but I can't recall a moment where I thought anything close to "wow," and I can remember nothing at all about it when it's over. Wallpaper music.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP