Thursday, February 28, 2008

Music Library: Aimee Mann, Akron/Family

I wonder how long I can keep up this review of my music library?

Today's albums are:

Aimee Mann - Magnolia Soundtrack. I like the movie, a little because and a little despite its eccentricities. I only have three songs from the soundtrack. And two are ok, but not great. "Save Me" is extraordinary, although I wonder if my affection for it is augmented by the movie.

Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2. Oh, now I'm a little confused. I only have a few songs from this one, too, and both were a gift from a friend. But the first one that comes up is "Wise Up," which is another track from Magnolia that I think is touching and extraordinary. The other two tracks are only ok. And "You Do" cuts out about halfway through (note to self: delete).

Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm. A whole lotta rootsy Counting Crows-ish yawn. I guess I'd probably appreciate the lyrics if I got to know them, but the music is so pedestrian, especially compared to the great tracks from Magnolia with their lush production perfectly in service to the soaring songs. I'm going to let this one go, too, I think.

Aimee Mann - One More Drifter In The Snow. Eh, I bought this from eMusic for Xmas 2006. There's some goodness there, but mostly it's the wrong atmosphere for now. I hadn't considered holiday music when I started this, so I'm going to skip it. If I'm still doing this at the end of the year, I'll come back.

Akron/Family - Akron/Family. Oh, I love this. This is the first album, which is quietly unhinged. Each album grows progressively more so.

Akron/Family - Meek Warrior. Take the wonder and poignancy of the first and add in a healthy dose of Ornette Coleman-style deconstruction. This one's a bit schizophrenic, though. The elements are all there, but the execution is too angular. On the next one, they curve through chaos like an ouroboros. On this one, they zig-zag.

Akron/Family - Love Is Simple. This was my favorite album of 2007. It still is.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP