Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I barely remember how to do this. Anyway, life/busy/stuff is keeping me elsewhere for the time being. However, I must unabashedly recommend Children of Men. This movie, this movie, this movie. The imagery was gorgeous, smart-alecky Christ-story, but the story itself, a near-primeval mythographic story about the trip through hell to deliver the pregnant woman who will save humanity into the hands of safety, resonated throughout me as though I were a bell being struck. The world it takes place in, a future England that is like Iraq as the last outpost of civilization (rather than the cradle), is a horrific vision of xenophobia, homeland security, the breakdown of government functions (see the trash strewn everywhere), terrorist factions, and authoritarian crackdowns. The message was crystal clear and as old as, well, the story: what is coming will seem like the end of everything, but there's always room for hope. The movie's verisimilitude is so raw that you'll find yourself gasping at the end of the action sequences (two, prominently, are single-takes, which is a wow of a realization), unaware that you'd been holding your breath. I wept and I laughed, and the movie still has a hold on me, days later.

2 comments:

Greg 11:17 AM, January 30, 2007  

Hmm... we're thinking about joining Netflix soon. Maybe I'll put this at the top of my list. Thanks.

Hayden Childs 12:05 PM, January 30, 2007  

I loved it and still stand by my initial reaction, but I've heard from quite a number of friends who thought it was a glorified shoot-em-up with a point a bit too on-the-nose. I don't see it, but figured I should mention it.

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP