Thursday, July 28, 2005

The AFL-CIO split: is it a bad thing or good thing and for whom? Yes, this is time for big questions asked idiotically.

I've worked with the AFL-CIO of North Carolina and spent most of grad school (and almost none of my working life) thining about labor issues, so I feel that I have the necessary gravitas to answer my own dumb question ambiguously. Thus: I'm inclined to say both or neither. The talk about SEIU courting Republicans chills me to my core. However, it seems fairly obvious that the AFL-CIO is a dying giant bereft of new ideas. It seems even more obvious to me that the only way the US labor movement can survive is by reaching out across borders and into white-collar jobs and contract-labor jobs. How it's supposed to do this, I have no idea. But the way that people work has changed over the last 20 years, making connection with other workers on the economic issues that bind us a far more difficult prospect.

Here, as with so many social changes, I'm hoping for the best and doing jack.

3 comments:

Hayden Childs 5:59 PM, July 28, 2005  

Thanks, Snoozy. I think the reason I'm behind on the book project is that I do have a son, born earlier in the year.

Anonymous 12:14 PM, July 29, 2005  

Snoozy, where have you been??

Hayden Childs 3:26 PM, July 29, 2005  

Sleeping?

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP