Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Music Library FINAL Catch-Up: Cs and Ds



I'm only going to single something out if I haven't written about it before. More new purchases/downloads from the last year:

Glen Campbell - Greatest Hits (1967-2008). Because I love the man's music.

Can - Ogam Ogat (Tago Mago Studio Outtakes, 1971), Flow Motion (1976), Saw Delight (1977), Out Of Reach (1978), Can (1979), and Rite Time (1989). Figured I should pick up the rest of Can's studio output, even if I know I don't much care for later Can. Turns out that I don't much care for later Can.

Captain Beefheart - It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper (soniclovenoize reconstruction) and I'm Going To Do What I Wanna Do: Live At My Father's Place 1978. Both excellent. Still much love for soniclovenoize's work.

Cardinal - Cardinal (Remastered) (1994). Fifth time I've bought this?

The Cars - The Cars (Deluxe Edition) (1978), Panorama (1980), Shake It Up (1981), and Heartbeat City (1984). I thought that I really liked these guys, but it turns out that I really like their hits.

Carlene Carter - Carlene Carter (1978) and Musical Shapes (1980). Lousy production, but pretty great songs and performances.

Nick Cave - Live Seeds (with The Bad Seeds, 1993), No More Shall We Part (with The Bad Seeds, 2001), The Proposition Soundtrack (with Warren Ellis, 2005), The Abattoir Blues Tour (with The Bad Seeds, 2007), The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (with Warren Ellis, 2007), Live From KCRW (with The Bad Seeds, 2013), Mermaids EP (with The Bad Seeds, 2013), and Give Us A Kiss 7" (with The Bad Seeds, 2014). No More Shall We Part and Live From KCRW in particular are bad-ass.

Alex Chilton - Electricity By Candlelight: NYC 2/13/1997. Even when the power was out, Chilton was the coolest guy in the room. RIP all over again.

Gene Clark and Carla Olson - Silhouetted In Light: Live In Concert (1990). As with Clark and Olson's studio work, there is good and there is lackluster, but overall it is good enough.

The Clash - Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg (soniclovenoize reconstruction) (1982). Interesting thought-experiment. I honestly like this a little more than Combat Rock.

The Clean - Boodle Boodle Boodle EP (1981). I have these tracks on the Anthology, too, but I can't say no to the Clean.

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda (1970). Fantastic, heady stuff.

John Coltrane - Lush Life (1959) and Offering: Live At Temple University (recorded 1966, released 2014). The former a favorite from when I was first getting into Coltrane and the latter a badass find.

Elvis Costello - Trust (1981), Punch The Clock (1983), Mighty Like A Rose (1991), Brutal Youth (1994), Kojak Variety (1995), and All This Useless Beauty (1996). Trust is the only one of these I love, but I realized I had never picked up a digital copy and thought I might someday, I don't know, want to remind myself why I don't care for Punch The Clock or Kojak Variety?

Rick Danko - Rick Danko (1977). Sounds like Danko, which is a plus, but it doesn't sound like the Band, which is a minus.

Miles Davis - Miles At The Fillmore: Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3 (1970). Lost quintet! I have a number of bootlegs by this version of Miles's band, which I've covered elsewhere, but an official release is most welcome. Excellent.

De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991), Buhloone Mindstate (1993), and Stakes Is High (1996). Jumped on the chance to get free copies when DLS made them available to fans and I'm glad I did.

Delta 5 - See The Whirl (1981) and Singles And Sessions 1979-81. Leeds punk band that deserves more attention than they get.

Devo - Duty Now For The Future (1979), Dev-O Live (1980), Freedom Of Choice (1980), New Traditionalists (1981), Oh No! It's Devo (1982), and Shout (1984). Somebody dumped their Devo cds at the record store. Their loss, my gain, although the post-Freedom Of Choice albums get pretty dire.

James Luther Dickinson - Dixie Fried (1972). The late, great Jim Dickinson wasn't just a phenomenal producer and pianist, but a real, live Southern wild man.

Drive-By Truckers - The Fine Print: A Collection of Oddities And Rarities 2003-2008, The Big To-Do (2010), Go-Go Boots (2011), and English Oceans (2014). Finally caught up with some of the more recent albums.

Don Drummond - Jazz Ska Attack 1964. This is an attack you will not want to miss.

Bob Dylan - Infidels (soniclovenoize remix) (1983). I like it better than the original mix, but that's not saying much.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP