Sunday, September 15, 2013

Music Library Catch-Up: Boyce and Hart, Nick Cave, Daft Punk, Drive-By Truckers, Haydn, Jason Isbell, Meat Purveyors, Randy Newman



Some quick catch-up reviews.

Boyce and Hart - I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight (1968). Tasty bubblegum from the Monkees' main songwriters! It was filed in the Ts for Tommy Boyce.



Nick Cave - Nocturama (2008). Oh yeah.



Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (2013). Isn't it odd that it has suddenly become an event when Daft Punk releases a record? When did that happen?

Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South (2004) and Brighter Than Creation's Dark (2007). When I reviewed these guys last time, I was not completely sold on them. I liked some songs and didn't care much for others. But these albums both hit me just right.



Haydn: Three Favorite Concertos (1990). Wynton Marsalis, Yo-Yo Ma, and Cho-Liang Lin. Is Wynton Marsalis a bullshit classical trumpeter? I don't know. This is okay.

Jason Isbell - Live From Alabama (2012). My least-favorite Drive-By Trucker out on his own. I just don't care for his music, y'all. I can even admit that I like some of his songs, but the way he plays them here is slick as greased shit.

The Meat Purveyors - Sweet In The Pants (1998), More Songs About Buildings And Cows (1999), Pain By Numbers (2004), and Someday Soon Things Will Be Much Worse! (2006). Punk-bluegrass band from Austin. Went to see them a few times in the '00s, so I can report that they put on a hell of a great show.



Randy Newman - 12 Songs (1970). My buddy Gary told me he would bet I would like this album or he'd eat his proverbial hat. I like it, man! Don't start cooking the Stetson yet! It's not my favorite thing, but I like it, man.


0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP