Friday, February 25, 2011

Music Library: Missy Elliott, Mitch Ryder, Elizabeth Mitchell, Mo Tucker, Moaners, Model-Citizen, Modern English



Missy Elliott - Supa Dupa Fly (1997). Apparently this redefined hip-hop.  My grasp of hip-hop history is shaky, though.  I know it's an enjoyable listen.

Mitch Ryder - "When You Were Mine." Cover of the great Prince tune by the great garage rocker.

Elizabeth Mitchell - Sunny Day (2010). I wish I liked this more.  Smithsonian gave it to me as a promo.  I like Mitchell.  I like her music with Ida, and I like the idea of her children's music, which involves collaboration with her husband and young daughter.  I love that she has Levon Helm and Jon Langford playing on this album.  And my wife and kids absolutely adore this album.  That should be enough.

Mo Tucker - I Spent A Week There The Other Night (1993). The former Velvet Underground drummer made a number of solo albums in the 80s and 90s.  This one has each of her former band members from the original VU on different tracks, and it's a pretty decent album despite Tucker's rather amusical voice.  I want to mention that Tucker retired at some point in the 90s and recently resurged in footage of a Tea Party rally in Georgia.  Say it ain't so, Mo!

The Moaners - "Monkey Tongue." Pretty rockin' slide-blues track from the new band of Melissa Swingle, formerly of the pretty rockin' Trailer Bride.

Model-Citizen - "Slipped Away." Another great single by a band where I wish I had at least a whole album.  Model-Citizen, which may or may not be a going concern, is (or was) led by Matt Patton, also of The Dexateens.  Whereas the Dexateens built their sound on the countrier side of the Stones, Model-Citizen is made of Who and Faces.  Excellent stuff.

Modern English - "I Melt With You." I keep this around just in case I am called upon to DJ a middle school dance in 1987.

0 comments:

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP