Monday, October 22, 2007

My baby brother Michael died yesterday.

He was profoundly retarded. When he was born, the doctors told us it would be a miracle if he lived to be 16. But he did, and then he went on living another 7 years.

Michael was a baby all his life. He didn't walk. He needed to be fed. He wore diapers. He was mostly blind, but he loved to have the sunshine on his face. He loved to hear people talk to him and loved having people fawn over him. He loved music. He hated to be held, but there was no other way to move him around. He may have been my brother, but he was heavy. He hated loud noises. He hated having to wait for his dinner and would make an awful racket.

Michael was lucky that my parents shouldered the burden of taking care of him. My parents chose to sacrifice everything they could to make Michael happy, and they succeeded. Michael was happy almost every day of his life. What more could anyone ask out of this wicked world?

And I miss him terribly. Even though I knew it was going to happen soon. Even though I've been expecting that call for years. It's hard to realize exactly how much you love someone like that until they're gone, and now he's gone, my sweet baby brother Michael.

5 comments:

Dave 5:35 PM, October 22, 2007  

I'm so sorry to hear this, Hayden. Take care.

Dutcher Stiles 9:28 PM, October 22, 2007  

Losing a brother is hard. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous 11:20 AM, October 23, 2007  

I'm sorry for your loss, Hayden. My best wishes to you and your family. Mom and dad send their condolences, too.

Macsdaddy 11:51 AM, October 24, 2007  

Hayden,
I was so sorry to hear of Micheal's passing. My mom just told me she saw it in the Press-Register and I did a search to see if I could find out how to get in touch. Please give my condolences to your parents and Patrick and Jen. When you feel up to it, drop me a line at kmdrane@gmail.com.

Best wishes, Kevin

Andy Axel 6:47 PM, October 25, 2007  

I just caught up with this news after a very busy week.

I feel late in saying so, but I hope you and your family are holding up in the wake of this devastating news.

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP