Thursday, February 15, 2007

You're a with-it kind of person. I know this because you're reading my blog, and by "with-it" I mean "reader-of-my-blog." Admittedly, this stretches the the ordinary definition of the word.

Anyway, you, dear reader, my with-it kind of person, should know that there is a new High Hat, a valentine to you, with the theme of First Loves. And Love is the key. I cannot read it without getting all soft-focus vaseline-eyed. It's just that wonderful and romantic.

There's too much goodness to recommend any particular article over another, but I will single out two. First, Phil Nugent's remembrance of New Orleans and his friend Helen Hill, who was murdered there last month, is a breathtaking essay of such scope that the editors took the unprecendented move of presenting it outside of any of our little departments. Second, and I mention this not because it is a high quality essay, but because this is my blog which I write, necessitating a bit of occasional egotism to stay in the spirit of things, my first love article is on an embarrassing youthful indiscretion with the band Styx. Read it at your own peril. Or don't and still think well of me (presuming that, in fact, some of you think well of me in the first place).

Go and be loved.

2 comments:

Anonymous 11:33 PM, February 18, 2007  

I love the article about Styx!

My first rock'n'roll love was Queen. First there was "Flash Gordon" when I was in the sixth (?) grade. Then Queen's Greatest Hits. Then the Gods of Rock smiled, the heavens opened, and I bought "A Night at the Opera" (in Odessa, Texas, in the record bin of a local Five and Dime).

I have occasionally strayed from my first love, but I always return.

(I also liked Styx & listed to Paradise Theater and Mr. Roboto a lot.)

Lately I've been listening obsessively to one of Brian May's solo albums. He does a great cover of Hendrix's "One Rainy Wish," and it turns out that Hendrix writes music that thrives under the influence of May's special tone.

Mmmmmmmm.

Hayden Childs 6:23 PM, February 19, 2007  

Glad you enjoyed the article, Marvin! I've never been too much the Queen fan, but there've been a few songs I dig, like Sheer Heart Attack and Dragon Attack. Hey, did they do any other songs with "Attack" in the title?

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP